The Inspection Authorization Course
Our 4 day IA course will not only allow you to leave our school with a high passing score on the FAA written exam, but in-depth knowledge of FAA publications and complete confidence with your new IA responsibilities.
T Black Aviation’s Inspection Authorization course is offered once a month (class schedule) and by special appointment if our class start date does not meet your needs.
We are authorized to proctor the IA exam. So after successful completion of the course you can take the IA Exam anytime thereafter, without having to leave our facility!
I.A. Course Guarantee
T Black Aviation guarantees that if you fail the I.A. written test, after completing our course, you may return to our school, up to ten years, during I.A. classes for additional training until you receive your I.A. rating.
Eligibility for the Inspection Authorization Course
To be eligible for Inspection Authorization privileges 65.91 states:
§ 65.91 Inspection authorization.
- An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.
- An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.
- To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must -
- Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;
- Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2 year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;
- Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;
- Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and
- Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under Part 43 of this chapter.
An applicant who fails the test prescribed in paragraph (c)(5) of this section may not apply for retesting until at least 90 days after the date he failed the test.
IA Program Admission Requirements:
In order to take the IA exam, you must have a signed and approved FAA Form 8610-1 (application for Inspection Authorization) and a valid form of identification. You can download the 8610-1 form here and then contact your local FSDO to obtain approval.
NOTE: Once signed and approved by your local FSDO, this form is only valid for 30 days. Please make sure you have enough time to complete the course and the IA exam prior to the expiration date.
IA Program Tuition
IA Course Tuition $599.00
IA Written Exam $150.00
Books/Materials $99.85 (cash discount available)
MATERIALS NEEDED ON THE FIRST DAY:
- 8610-1 with Full Legal Name
- State or Federal Photo ID with Full Legal Name (Must match 8610-1)
- Non - U.S. residents must possess a valid passport for identification.
- A calculator (Texas Instrument TI-30XA)
- A highlighter
- Pen or pencil and paper